Financial Support For Heart Families

If you have a child with a heart condition, as well as worrying about their health, you may also be concerned about finances. Below, you can find information about benefits and grants you may be entitled to, and how you can access financial support.


Disability Living Allowance

You may be able to claim Disability Support Allowance (DLA) for your child, if their condition significantly affects them. The amount you can claim depends on how much care your child needs and how their mobility is affected.

Take your time filling in the application – it is a long form. It helps to complete it with someone who knows you and your child well, and you can also contact your cardiac liaison team if you have any questions.

Find out more and apply on the website here.

Carer’s Allowance

You may also be entitled to Carer’s Allowance, depending on the amount of care your child needs and if they receive certain other benefits.

Find out more and apply here.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is paid for a number of reasons, including to support those on low incomes or who cannot work.

At time of writing (September 2022), Universal Credit is replacing many other benefits, including: Child Tax Credit, Working Credit, Housing Benefit and Income Support.

You can see if you are eligible and apply here.

Other Benefits

You could also be entitled to other benefits, so it’s a good idea to use a benefits calculator, like this one, to see what you can claim. Organisations such as Citizens Advice, can also help you understand what you are entitled to.

Cost of Living Support

With the rising cost of energy bills, you may be worried about heating your home and keeping your child warm during winter. Below are some organisations that can provide advice and practical support with those and other expenses. The government has announced a package of support, including discounts on energy bills and council tax rebates. Some of the organisations below also help you determine which government support packages you qualify for.

British Gas Energy Trust provides support, no matter who your energy supplier is.

Citizens Advice also provides free support and advice.

Energy Saving Trust advises how to make your home more energy efficient and lower your bills.

Green Doctor also gives free advice on staying warm and well and lowering your energy bills.

Other Support


Turn2Us can help you to access benefits, charitable grants and other financial support. Find out more here.

Family Fund

If your child is disabled or seriously ill, you can apply to Family Fund for a grant to help with the cost of everyday essentials and care.

Find out more about eligibility and how to apply, here.